Tuesday, December 18, 2012

{ialsolovechocolate} Maturing as a Parent? Who knew!

While making our twice weekly trek to the north, the subject of singing came up again.

I asked Cman- "What will you do, if Mr. Schwamb (his choir teacher) leaves the school?  How will you respond, if he decides to move on, to another school or job?"

"I would probably quit the choir!" he quickly responded.

Shocked, I gripped the steering wheel, while a strong & swift response formed in my mind.

But I said nothing.

I just nodded my head, to let him know that I had heard him.

A minute passed, with neither of us talking.

Breaking the silence, he finally said "Well, maybe I wouldn't quit.  Maybe I'd give the new teacher a chance."

A huge sigh of relief replaced my unspoken lecture, and all was right in the world again.

:)

This exchange brought with it, a huge epiphany for me.

Had I let loose with my opinions about his love of singing... how he should remain in the program, no matter what... etc.. etc... I would have most likely been talking to a stubborn man/child, who wanted nothing more than to defend his personal choices.  But by biting my tongue, I gave him the space to work out the issue, in his own mind.

In that moment, I had an epiphany.

I don't know that I could have done the whole tongue-biting thing, a few years ago. 

**It took some major {parenting} maturity for that to happen.**

So first time parents with young kids- it does get better, they will mature.

And young kids, with first time parents- it also gets better, we mature too.  

Thanks for snapping this, Mom!   You're a great assistant!  ;)   *Taken at Longwood Gardens.


*Please note: I have no knowledge of Mr. Schwamb's, future plans, I just know that he could go anywhere, as he is incredibly gifted.  Parents & the board of SCA- let's do whatever we can to make him never want to leave!!


No comments:

Post a Comment