Monday, April 20, 2015

Lessons I've Learned Along the Way #1 (cancer/say it now)

Lessons I've Learned Along the Way #1
Say it all and say it now.
Not long ago, a close friend of mine lost her mom to pneumonia {after being diagnosed with cancer and receiving chemo...}
frown emoticon  frown emoticon  frown emoticon
On the first day that my dad was admitted to the ER back in May, my wise friend urged me to tell him everything that I've ever wanted to say to him... to not leave anything unsaid, because "you never know what could happen".
I marched myself into his room and at the first opportunity, I held his hand, looked him in the eye and told him how much I loved him, how much I appreciated his love, that he married my mom, that he raised me, etc... etc...
He looked me back in the eye and said "I ain't goin' anywhere! And your NOT gettin' my gun, yet!!" 
lol
{He has the cutest little pocket pistol that I "put dibs on" as soon as I saw it!}
While I am not ready for my Daddy to go yet, I know that when he does, there is no doubt about my affection for him, and I will have peace about this matter.
But today I realized that there is another reason to tell your loved ones how you feel NOW. And the reason is this:
When things get bad... when you're not sure if your loved one will make it another day... if you haven't already told them how you feel, you will want to do it then... before it's too late. But if you do, then you run the risk of scaring your loved one.
"Why is she telling me this now, am I dying?" This is the question that you may stir up! And who wants to do that to a loved one?!
And so, I am sharing this new epiphany with you today, and like my friend, I URGE you to tell your loved ones that you love them NOW.
Because too late is too late. But almost too late is not so great, either.
Say it all and say it now. 
Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment