Monday, April 20, 2015

Lessons I've Learned Along the Way #14 (cancer/pictures)

Lessons I've learned along the way #14
Having a family member who takes pictures regularly (pre-illness) makes it easier and more natural to capture photos when an illness such as cancer enters the family.
You saw this one coming, didn't you?  wink emoticon
Because, I am one of the "picture-takers" of the family, it hasn't been strange for my dad (Jack) to see me snapping away, during this time. It's our normal. Even with the increase in quantity, he hasn't seemed phased. "It's just Kimberly. She's always got a camera in her face." 
Had I not been taking pictures before the cancer, my sudden drive to capture moments might freak him out a little. 
I am so thankful that I had established my photo obsession before all of this!
Taking this a step or two further, I would also highly, highly recommend that the family-picture-taker learn how to shoot in manual mode (controlling the ISO, shutter speed, & aperture). Without the skill to shoot in manual mode, chances are high that you will find yourself in low light situations which are difficult to capture in auto mode. Blurry photos of important moments would be incredibly frustrating. Learn how to operate your camera before a crisis occurs. 
And finally, I would encourage you, and have had to push myself, to take photos that are uncomfortable.
Take the sleeping shots, for example. I almost didn't attempt them. I didn't want to wake them... and I didn't want to get in trouble. haha But with my beep feature always off, and a light foot, I was able to snap a few, before my light-sleeping mama's eyes fluttered open. Then today, I took some photos of my mom rubbing my dad's shoulders. It was a tender moment that I didn't want to intrude upon, but I made myself do it. To NOT capture the scene would have been a failure in my mind. This is their life right now. Shoulder rubs are a part of the story. And I want to record the story as thoroughly as I can, even if it makes me uncomfortable while I'm doing it.
*Become a picture-taker now.
*Learn how to be a good picture-taker.
*And get out of your comfort zone to capture sentimental & important moments in the story.
Now, if only I had also been in the habit of capturing videos for our family before the cancer hit...

No comments:

Post a Comment